Friday, August 26, 2011
 

Bike safety in Fairfax

In the Fairfax Times article Breaking the cycle of bike-car accidents: Burke man speaks out about bicycle safety after accident with ice cream truck, Brendan Markham, the cyclist who was injured on Bike to Work Day, speaks out about the need for better bike safety education in Fairfax:
As Markham was riding home through Fairfax City that evening around 7 p.m., an ice cream truck struck him a short distance from the Fairfax Square Apartment complex.

Markham suffered broken ribs, one of which punctured his lung.

“When the truck hit me, I was thrown up on the hood of the truck and then rolled off and landed in front of its front left tire,” Markham said. “The tire then rolled over me and remained on my back before it eventually backed up off of me.”

“I want to bring more bike safety awareness to the Northern Virginia area,” he said. “I have gotten involved with the Washington Biking Association and I want to get out there and speak to the public to educate both drivers and cyclists about sharing the road safely. No one should have to go through what I did.”
We assume Washington Biking Association is Washington Area Bicyclists Association (WABA). We plan to get in touch with Brendan and work with him to figure improve bicycle safety education in this area.

Labels: , ,

Comments:

Post a Comment

Contact FABB via email: info@fabb-bikes.org

Subscribe to the
FABB e-newsletter


Subscribe to posts:
[Atom 1.0] or [RSS 2.0]





  Bike to Work Day 2015 at Wiehle Station

  Transportation choices

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Archives