Sunday, February 26, 2017
Public Hearing on Reston Transportation Funding - UpdateUpdate Feb. 28, 2017 - The Board of Supervisors unanimously approved the funding proposal, including the bike facilities on the Soapstone Connector, despite negative comments from Supervisor Herrity about the amount of space being devoted to pedestrians and bicyclists. Supervisor Herrity abstained.
At their meeting on Tuesday, February 28 the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors will hold a public hearing on funding of transportation projects in Reston. Most of the road projects include facilities for bicyclists and pedestrians. Funding is also being sought to help create a grid of streets through the commercial areas around the Dulles Toll Road, including the Metro station areas, that will provide better on-road alternatives for bicyclists.
FABB is not taking a position on the funding source or the worthiness of the various projects, several of which include widening already wide roads. However, if the projects are built, they must contain safe bicycle and pedestrian facilities. The public hearing will be held at the Board Auditorium, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, sometime after 4:30 p.m.
One of the major projects is the Soapstone Connector, an extension of Soapstone Dr north across the Toll Road to Sunset Hills Road. This would also extend the bike lanes along Soapstone Dr to provide better access across the Toll Road and to the Reston Town Center and Wiehle Metro stations. There is some opposition to the bike lanes on the bridge.
|Soapstone Connector sections|
List of the Reston road projects:
- Dulles Toll Road Crossing at Soapstone Overpass – Sunrise Valley Drive to Sunset Hills Road
- Dulles Toll Road Town Center Parkway Underpass – Sunrise Valley Drive to Sunset Hills Road
- Fox Mill Road Widening – Reston Parkway to Monroe Street
- Monroe Street Widening – West Ox Road to Town of Herndon
- Pinecrest Road Extension – South Lakes Drive to Sunrise Valley Drive
- Reston Parkway Widening – South Lakes Drive to Dulles Toll Road
- Fairfax County Parkway - Dulles Toll Road to West Ox Road Widening
- Fairfax County Parkway at Sunrise Valley Drive (Interchange)
- South Lakes Drive Overpass–SunriseValleyDrive to Sunset Hills Road
- West Ox Road Widening – Lawyers Road to Centreville Road