Public Meeting on Route 1 Tonight
The Coalition for Smarter Growth
sent out the following alert about the plan to revitalize the Route 1 Corridor. A meeting on the plan
is scheduled for tonight at 7pm at West Potomac High School, 6500 Quander Road, Alexandria., Monday, July 25. Here's the message sent out by the Coalition:
Support a smart growth future for the Richmond Highway corridor
The diverse, historic Richmond Highway (Route 1) corridor is on the cusp of major revitalization. A new bus rapid transit line is in the works and now the county is updating its comprehensive plan.
With your help, Route 1 could be a great modern urban boulevard. Make sure the new comprehensive plan supports green, walkable, transit-oriented, and inclusive communities.
We believe key elements to the plan should include:
- A grid of pedestrian and bicycle-friendly streets for each transit-oriented center.
- Safe, reasonable crossing distances – with 10 to 11 foot lanes, protected bicycle tracks, and reduced speeds through the transit-oriented centers.
- Expanded and connected parks and stream buffers, and modern stormwater management.
- Proactive strategies to preserve existing affordable housing and include new affordable housing in redevelopment.
- Development scaled to high-frequency bus rapid transit with options for increases tied to future Metrorail at Beacon Hill and Hybla Valley.
It’s important that the plan include clear guidance on these issues to ensure that county staff, VDOT, and private developers follow-through in creating a sustainable and inclusive community. Even if you don’t live near Route 1, show your support for this historic part of Fairfax.
PS -- Can you do more? Join us at the second big public meeting
for the study next Monday, July 25
, at West Potomac High School (6500 Quander Road) at 7 pm.