Monday, February 16, 2015
House Trans. Comm. to vote on "Passing on a yellow line" and possibly "Dooring" bills tomorrow
The House Transportation Committee will meet tomorrow to vote on two major bike-related bills, the bill to allow motorists to cross the yellow line when passing a bicyclist, and maybe the bill to require motorists to avoid opening their door when a cyclist is passing. If your representative serves on this committee, please contact them and ask for their support. You can also contact Delegate Rust, chairman of the committee, to ask for his support.
1. Support SB 781 Passing with a double yellow line
- Allows drivers to cross a yellow line to pass a pedestrian, stopped vehicle, bikers, etc., if safe to do so. Current version modified to include single yellow line on driver's side.
- Passed the Senate, 37-1,
- Passed the House Transportation Sub-Committee 6-1 on Monday, 2/16. Capt. Glick (the representative of the State Police), supported the bill and was asked how it would be enforced, answering with a "Reckless Driving" citation if the crossing of the line was observed to be an unsafe one
- Full House Transportation Committee hearing and vote at 8:30 AM Tuesday, 2/17
2. Support SB 882 Dooring
- Requires motor vehicle operators to wait for a reasonable opportunity to open their door.
- Passed the Senate 27-12,
- Was not recommended to be reported by the House Transportation Sub-Committee (4-3) on Monday, 2/16 , but the Sponsor, Sen. Chap Petersen intends to request reconsideration in the full House Transportation Committee at 8:30 AM Tuesday.
The House Transportation Commission Chairman is from Herndon, Delegate Rust firstname.lastname@example.org. (804) 698-1086
Other NoVA Delegates on this committee include the following:
- Hugo/Prince William email@example.com, (804) 698-1040
- Scott/Culpeper firstname.lastname@example.org (804) 698-1030
- Anderson/Woodbridge email@example.com (804) 698-1051
- Minchew/Leesburg firstname.lastname@example.org (804) 698-1010
- LeMunyon/Chantilly email@example.com (w/thanks for support in subcommittee) (804) 698-1067
- LaRock/Hamilton firstname.lastname@example.org (804) 698-1033
- Filler-Corn/Springfield email@example.com (804) 698-1041
- Plum/Reston firstname.lastname@example.org (804) 698-1036
Thanks to Jim Durham of Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee for sharing this information, and to Virginia Bicycle Federation for reporting on progress in today's session.