Friday, December 6, 2013
New Maryland police bicycle safety training videoWe noticed this article in the online Post: New Md. State Police video encourages enforcement of driver-cyclist laws. The title of the 33-minute video is The Law Enforcement Role in Bicycle Safety.
The video will be used as a police training aide "to enhance the safety of bicyclists and other road users, to help officers identify and enforce illegal behaviors most likely to cause traffic crashes between bicyclists and motorists, and to assist officers in the investigation and reporting of crashes involving bicyclists."
It looks like a good resource for Maryland police. FABB is working with Fairfax County police on producing a similar video for Fairfax.
The video contains seven sections with a test at the end.
- Why is this a job for law enforcement?
- Bicycle crash overview
- Maryland definitions of bicycle-related laws
- Traffic laws that also apply to bicyclists
- Bicycle specific traffic laws
- Motor vehicle traffic laws that apply to motor vehicle interactions with bicyclists
- Investigation of crashes involving bicycles