Monday, December 16, 2013
 

FABB/WABA Suburban Holiday Shopping Ride a success

Thanks to Pete Beers for organizing the first FABB/WABA Suburban Holiday Shopping Ride. Pete met the group of riders (there were 11 who joined at some point) in Vienna, cycled to Tysons where they shopped for a couple of hours. They then rode to the Mosaic District for more shopping, then back to Vienna.

In the photo on the right, note the shopper bike racks installed at the Mall. Not many people know they are there since most people think you're crazy to ride in Tysons. Pete showed the group that it is possible to ride there safely and avoid the hassles of driving and parking.

Read Pete's report on the ride on this blog I Love My Commute. Here's an excerpt:
The best response that I got when I proposed this ride was "Ho Ho NO. I'll follow you to Certain Death, Pete, but not to Tyson's Corner (a fate worse than . . . )."

I think many people dread crowds and parking problems associated with holiday shopping at the mall the week before Christmas. The mall can get a bit crazy this time of year. My goal was to make it fun. I did this by getting there by bicycle and by bringing along as many friends as I could. I've also wanted to share how amazingly easy it is to ride to Tyson's Corner by bicycle. That was the genesis of the Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling (FABB) / Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) Holiday Shopping Ride. Both FABB and WABA are all about showing people that it is easy to live by bicycle...

Labels: ,

Comments:

Post a Comment

Contact FABB via email: info@fabb-bikes.org

Subscribe to the
FABB e-newsletter


Subscribe to posts:
[Atom 1.0] or [RSS 2.0]





  Bike to Work Day 2015 at Wiehle Station

  Transportation choices

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Archives