Sunday, May 13, 2012
Bicyclists, motorists need to share roadDavid Alpert of Greater Greater Washington teamed up with Dr. Gridlock, Robert Thompson, provide roadway users with some tips in today's Post article Bicyclists, motorists need to share road. David has these tips for motorists:
- Cyclists might be on the left side of the road (when turning left on a one way street)
- Riding outside a bike lane is often okay.
- If turning right across a bike lane, move into the bike lane first.
- Bicycles are faster than you might think.
- Don’t honk
- Be obvious, be predictable.
- Think like a driver.
- Wait for right-turning drivers.
- Obey traffic laws.
- Respect pedestrians.
Embeded in the article is a good video on dooring from ddot. Notice how far an open door can extend into a bike lane.