Herndon forms bike committeeAccording to the Herndon Town Clerk,
At last night's meeting, the Town Council adopted the mission, objectives & purpose for the Town's Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committee. The committee will provide advice to the Town Council on matters relating to pedestrian and bicycle matters through the promotion of safe walking and bicycling as a viable means of transportation and physical activity.
If you are interested in serving on this committee, please complete a talent bank application and return it to the clerk's office for consideration for appointment by Council. For more information, contact the clerk's office at firstname.lastname@example.org, (703) 435-6804.October 14, 2008
Town of Herndon
Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committee (PBAC)
Mission - To improve the quality of life in the Town of Herndon through the promotion of safe walking and bicycling as a viable means of transportation and physical activity, and provide advice to the appropriate bodies (Town Council, Planning Commission and/or the Town's Transportation Engineering Improvement Committee - TEIC) on matters relating to bicycle and pedestrian issues, in order to provide health, recreation and transportation benefits for all Town citizens.
Objectives - To facilitate alternative modes of transportation within the Town and provide safe streets that are friendly to pedestrians and bicyclists;
To support the integration of pedestrian and bicycle facilities with the street and transit network through the Trail and Sidewalk Program and other components of the Town's Capital Improvement Program involving transportation improvements; and
To support pedestrian and bicycle initiatives and strategies in accordance with the Town's 2030 Comprehensive Plan and the Town's visioning document titled 2027: A Vision for the Town of Herndon.
- Review pedestrian and bicycle issues, to include matters affecting pedestrian and bicycle transportation and its relationship to parks, schools, transit stops and other major town facilities and, through coordination with Town staff, make recommendations to the appropriate bodies - Town Council, Planning Commission and/or the Town's Transportation Engineering Improvement Committee (TEIC);
- Perform studies and projects as requested by Town Council on pedestrian and bicycle matters;
- Facilitate citizen participation in the Town's consideration of matters involving pedestrian and bicycle questions;
- Integrate walking and bicycling into the Town's policies and practices;
- Seek funding for pedestrian and bicycle programs and facilities and advocate for the needs of Town pedestrians and bicyclists to applicable county, region, state and Federal departments and agencies;
- Study changes on applicable regulations, laws and best practices concerning pedestrian and bicycle issues;
- Promote safety programs and provide incentives for increasing walking and bicycling and promote physical and mental health benefits of walking and bicycling; and
- Promote intergovernmental and public/private cooperation and coordination on pedestrian and bicycle matters.
- 1 - Town Council representative, who shall be chair
- 1 - Planning Commission representative
- 1 - Heritage Preservation Review Board representative
- 6 - Citizens
- 1 - Department of Community Development staff, who serves as the primary staff
- 1 - Department of Parks and Recreation staff, who serves as an "ex-officio" member and support staff
- 1 - Department of Public Works staff, who serves as an "ex-officio" member and support staff